MOSHPIT is an archive of live music performances from a variety of sources including the Newport Folk and Jazz Festivals, Bill Graham Presents, the King Biscuit Flower Hour, and several other syndicated programs. It's huge. They claim to have over a quarter million recodings from over 11,000 performers with performances (and some interviews) from the 1950s through into the 2020s.
Unlike the Internet Live Music Archive, most of the recordings are professionally recorded concerts with decent to excellent sound. The site is searchable and you can browse by performer or through their catalogs of sources like the King Biscuit Flower Hour, which includes over 1600 performances alone. Performances are playable track by track and web pages include links to other performances as well as interviews.
I do wish they had an Android app for it though.
I'm going to include links to three performances that I picked, more or less at random.
- Richard Thompson Band, The Music Hall, April 22, 1994
- Miles David Quintet, Newport Jazz Festival, July 4, 1966
- William Prince, Paste Studio ATX, March 16, 2023
That's just a very small sample. I'm gong to be spending a lot of time browsing through MOSHPIT.
No comments:
Post a Comment