Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Clear Language and Design Thesaurus

I was cleaning out some old files and came across a printout of the Clear Language and Design Thesaurus. CLAD was an organization in Toronto that promoted clear language. If my memory is correct, were working with the TSX and their business communication staff around the time that I started working there. 

I found their thesaurus quite useful and used it and another internal document of mostly business-related jargon to create a wordlist that a Word macro would scan for words and phrases to avoid. I was often asked to copy edit documents written by business analysts and project managers, and this saved me significant amounts of time. 

As far as I can tell, CLAD as an organization is now part of the Toronto Centre of Learning and Development. The thesaurus lives on as a PDF file and is still useful. The resources listed on their website may also be useful, though the pages are now rather dated.  

No comments: