Wednesday, September 02, 2026

Movie and TV Reviews - August 2026

Short reviews of movies and TV shows I watched in August.

Movies 

  • The End of Oak Street: The best dinosaur movie since the first Jurassic Park film. (Cineplex)
  • The Tragically Hip: Anniversary of a National Celebration. One of the best concerts I have seen filmed. The original broadcast was watched by 1/3 of the population of Canada. 

TV

  • Miriam Margolyes Discovers New Zealand: A midling good 2-part travelogue. The best part is the scenery,. (Knowledge Network)
  • Legends: A well done, if somewhat implausible, drama about customs agents in the UK going undercover to take down a major drug ring. (BritBox)
  • Prey: Another variation on the widowed detective trying to track down his wife's killers. The first season was OK but I found t he second season unwatchable. (BritBox)
  • Sugar (season 2): A combination of LA detective noir and X-Files SF. Enjoyable but not great. (Apple TV)
  •  Star City: The Soviet side of the 1970s space program. This was darker and more intense than For All Mankind. Unfortunately, the final two episodes completely neglected any scientific or technical plausibility. (Apple TV)
  • House of the Dragon (season 3): I watched a recap of seasons 1 and 2 before starting this season. It made no difference. I enjoyed this season more than the other two though it's still not as good as the original Game of Thrones.  (Crave/HBO))


No comments: