YouTube keeps surprising me with great videos that randomly pop up in my feed. Last night, Nancy and I had just finished watching season 4 of Reacher and we didn't have time to watch another show, so I opened YouTube and it came up with a video of John Coltrane performing "Afro Blue". Given when Coltrane was performing, it had never occurred to me to look for videos of his performances. But lo and behold, there are quite a few.
So today's musical treat is a selection of live performances by John Coltrane and his quartet. I was a bit too young to have a chance to see him live (though I did get to see McCoy Tyner and Pharoah Sanders several times), so this will have to do. Given the era, the video quality is not great, but the sound is just fine.
First up, the John Coltrane Quartet live in Dusseldorf, Germany in 1960.
Next, some performances from Ralph J. Gleason's Jazz Casual TV show: "Afro Blue", "Alabama", and "Impressions".
Finally, here's a spectacular performance of "My Favourite Things" by the John Coltrane Quartet in Comblain-La-Tour in 1965.
YouTube has many more videos of Coltrane performing, but that will have to do for now. Maybe I'll do another post one of these days. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment