Friday, March 01, 2024

Movie and TV Reviews – February 2024

Short reviews of movies and TV shows that Nancy and I watched in February.

Movies

  • The Last Voyage of the Demeter: A horror flick based on a single chapter in Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's well done with good acting and pacing. Cory Hawkins as Clemens is particularly good. It's an interesting take on the Dracula legend and the ending leaves room for sequels. (Prime)
  • Oppenheimer: I was afraid this would be a little dull and talky but found it moved quickly for a three-hour movie. I enjoyed it but probably wouldn't watch it again. (Prime)
  • Argyll: We went to see this because we liked the director's previous work and it was $5 Tuesday. 

TV Shows

  • Hope Street, season 3: A lighter show than some we've watched. I didn't realize that the 3rd season has been split into two parts, and I don't know when the second half is coming. (BritBox)
  • Antiques Road Trip, season 26: This is the latest season, so I suppose we will have to work our way through the earliest episodes now to get our antiques fix. (PBS)
  • Only Murders in the Building, seasons 1-3: The main reason I watched this show  was for the performances of Steve Martin and Martin Short. Comedies like this aren't usually my cup of tea, but I liked this one a lot. It is very funny and somewhat twisted and kept us surprised and engaged though the three seasons. (Disney+) 
  • Severance, season 1: What happens in the office stays in the office, until it doesn't. This turned out to be much better than I expected and much stranger. It reminded me and Nacy of Terry Gilliam's Brazil. I do wish the season had resolved more instead of ending with a major cliffhanger.  (Apple TV+)
  • Law and Order Toronto: Criminal Intent. I may watch this again, just to see some of the Toronto locations, but I never much cared for original series, and my feelings haven't changed. (City TV)
  • Unforgotten (season 1): Another good British police procedural focusing on cold cases. Good acting, twisty plot, and gritty settings. (BritBox)
  • Death in Paradise (season 13). Murders in the beautiful Caribbean setting continue. (BritBox)

No comments: