Saturday, March 23, 2024

Saturday Sounds - Charles Lloyd - The Sky Will Still Be There Tomorrow

Charles Lloyd is an American jazz musician (saxophone, flute), who has been active since the 1950s. I remember listening to his album, Forest Flower, when I was in university and in later years, some of his many albums for ECM. I have a very vague memory of seeing him at an early jazz festival in Toronto sometime in the 1980s, but I can't find any evidence of that online. I did find it interesting that he was part of the Beach Boys touring band in the 1970s, so it's possible that I saw him in 1975 at Maple Leaf Gardens. 

Relix has published an appreciation of Lloyd and his music.

Earlier this month, he released his latest album, The Sky Will Still Be Here Tomorrow, and it is lovely. In their review, The Guardian says: 'Lloyd well knows he’s in the twilight of a great career – he recently remarked to Jazzwise that he’s “in the last stages of the journey now”. But you’d never know it from the light and joy glowing through this music.' If it is his last album, he's going out on a high note.


No comments: