Friday, January 10, 2020

Some Free Alternatives to Microsoft Word

Microsoft Word is a good choice for corporate documents, but it may be overkill for home use. You certainly don't need all of Word's features for a letter to your kid's teacher. Fortunately there are many alternatives, as this article points out. Note that the article doens't talk about office suites like LibreOffice, WPS Office, or even Google's GSuite. (LibreOffice Writer would be my first choice as a Word alternative).

I've tested some of these over the years, although I've never found any real reason to switch away from Word. Out of the ten programs mentioned in the article, I thought that these would be worth looking at for various reasons.

  • Page Four has a notebook feature that I really like. Unfortunately, the program is no longer being updated.
  • LyX gives you the power and typographic goodness of LaTex behind an easy-to-use graphical interface. If I had to write a thesis, this would be my choice. 
  • ThinkFree Online Editor gives you word processing features without having to download and install an application.



No comments: