Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Fun With Twitter Clients

I've just spent a few hours fiddling with my Twitter client. I use the default Twitter web client on my PC but on my Android phone, I've been using TweetCaster. Yesterday, it stopped working, giving me an error saying it couldn't connect to Twitter. Following the suggestions on their support page did no good. I ended up deleting the app's data, uninstalling, and re-installing, but it won't connect to Twitter. I can't even sign in to set up the app.

I switched back to Plume, the app I was using previously. Plume is fine as a Twitter client, although it lacks a couple of features found in TweetCaster, but the current version is a battery hog, using about 1 percent of my battery per minute.

So I started looking for a new Twitter client. The two that looked most interesting were Flex 2 and Talon. I finally settled on Talon, mainly because it is cheaper and has a compact mode that I didn't see in Flex 2. The layout is fairly customizable, although as with almost every app I've found, not customizable as I'd like. To give one example, I can display the actual time of the tweet, but it shows the time and date. I just want the time, and I'd like it displayed in bold. So far battery usage doesn't seem to be an issue.

So I'll give Talon a conditional recommendation. It's not perfect, but I don't see anything that will keep me from using it.

Update: As it turns out, the TweetCaster app is really broken and it's not just me. The developer claims that something Twitter did broke the app. Presumably it will get fixed at some point, and if it does, I may reinstall it as a backup to Talon.

Update 2: An update that fixes problem has been posted in the Google Play Store.

No comments: