Monday, January 20, 2020

Terry Pratchett's Going Postal TV Show

While browsing through the new releases on Acorn TV, I saw that they are streaming Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. It's one of three Discworld adapations that were done by SKY TV a decade or so ago. The other two are Hogfather and The Colour of Magic, neither of which are currently up on Acorn.

I should note at the outset that I've not read any of the Discworld books. This has been pointed out as a serious character flaw by several of my friends, but I've always had a strong preference to science fiction over fantasy. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed Going Postal. It's funny, satirical, quite lavish, and some of the themes that Pratchett is noted for come through strongly. I'd describe it as light fantasy, compared to something like the recent show, The Witcher, which was dark and intense. It reminded me of some of the Monty Python movies, though it's not as silly.

If you aren't an Acorn TV subscriber, they do have a free trial.

No comments: