Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Using AI in Technical Writing and More

I've been messing around with the Copilot AI in Windows 11 and have been impressed with some of the results I've been getting. As an example, I was trying to find aerial photos of my grandparents' neighbourhood form the 1950s or 1960s. Copilot didn't find any photos but it did give me several suggestions on where I might look to find them, several of which I had not thought of. 

Tom Johnson, technical writer and publisher of the I'd Rather Be Writing blog, has been using AI tools, including ChatGPT, Claude, and Bard. He's just posted an article describing 33 of the ways he's used them in both his work and everyday life. 

For technical writing, here are a few of the uses:

  • Get grammar advice
  • Troubleshoot technical issues
  • Fix a poorly written paragraph
  • Write code for documentation-related processes
  • Distill needed updates from bug threads
  • Arrange content into information type patterns
  • Draft glossary definitions
There's more, but that should give you an idea of the possibilities. I could definitely have used these tools when I was working; just the ability to write first-pass VBA or JavaScript code would have saved me a lot of time. Scanning design documents for definitions (and finding conflicting ones) is something that would have helped me. 

In everyday life:
  • Create a readable version of a YouTube transcript
  • Get ideas for what to eat from ingredients in the fridge
  • Explain something in a simpler way
For each use, he includes example prompts for the AI tool. There are also links to several articles with more details. 

No comments: