Thursday, December 14, 2023

Using the Accessibility Features in Windows 11

I've made no secret here of the fact that I'm very nearsighted. I'm sitting in front of a 32" 1440p monitor. I couldn't use a 4K monitor even at this large size. Even then, I scale up the text size to 150 percent. That works for most things I do on the computer.

As well as adjusting the font size, I use a large inverted-colour mouse cursor and a keystroke command to help me find the mouse, which I tend to lose when it's near the edge of the screen. But Windows has many more accessibility features to help users with special needs and not just vision. 

In Make Windows 11 easier to see, hear, and use the Ask Woody newsletter explains Windows 11's vision, hearing, and interaction features to help people with disabilities or limitations. It's a good article with clear explanations and lots of screen captures. I found several things that I didn't know about, despite having looked at the Accessibility settings several times. 

Windows has improved a lot in this area over the years, though there are a few things that still don't work the way that you would expect. Scaling of UI elements is one; I tried increasing the scaling size but had to go back to the default because of inconsistencies and issues with text overlapping fields and the like. Applications, even Microsoft's, need more work. I can zoom an Excel spreadsheet but the entry field below the ribbon doesn't zoom. Adobe's Photoshop and Lightroom are horrible, even after using the limited scaling they provide, and lack the ability to control the colour or contrast of UI elements. 

I hope these limitations will be addressed in the future. We've come a long way but there's still much room for improvement. 

No comments: