Monday, February 15, 2021

Word Will Finally Be Getting a Dark Mode

The latest Insider Builds of Microsoft Office 365 have added something that might finally get me to update my copy of Office 2013 – a dark mode for documents. Current versions of dark mode only apply to the ribbon. 

According to Office Watch, there are a few quirks in the beta build.

Changing the on-screen page background isn’t a simple as you might think.  The much darker background canvas alters the look of text colors.

According to Microsoft “… reds, blues, yellows, and other colors will be shifted slightly to mute the overall effect of the color palette and look more visually pleasing with the new dark background. “

Keep that in mind if you’re publishing to an onscreen format like a read-only Word document or PDF. 

The current builds have some strange behaviors with shades of grey canvas backgrounds.  But that kind of thing is to be expected in a beta build.

I don't use Word as much as I used to so it's not an essential feature, but given that Office 2013 is now about eight years old, it may be time to upgrade. 

It would be nice to have the ability to fiddle with page background and text colours in a document. Way back in the day, when I was using Word for DOS, I generally used a royal blue background with yellow text. I would still use that colour combination now if I could. 


No comments: