Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Running Linux On a Windows PC

One of the things I've been meaning to do since retiring is to put Linux on my main desktop PC, which is currently running Windows 10. I worked quite a bit with Linux systems at work and got used to using the shell commands.  For many reasons, I haven't had the time to set this up, other than by downloading a live DVD or Ubuntu or another distro and booting into that. (Keeping a Linux boot disk around is a good idea; using one saved me from a Windows reinstallation when one of my registry files got corrupted).

The Ask Woody Newsletter has an article that explains several ways of installing and running Linux on Windows.  The article describes several ways of running Linux under Windows 10 including:

  • Use the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL).
  • Use virtual Linux.
  • Use a live version of Linux.
  • Dual boot into Linux.
When I get the time, I will probably try the simplest option, which is to install and use WSL to get command-line access to Linux. If I need more features, then running a distribution under WSL or VirtualBox would be my choice. 

So many neat things to play with; so little time.



No comments: