Tuesday, August 06, 2019

Word's Calculator Tips and Problems

The Office Watch newsletter has pointed out a feature of Microsoft Word that I wasn't aware of – its built-in calculator. I've used formulas in Word for years, mostly to add numbers in table columns, but I did not know it had calculator features.

However (as always with Word), there are many quirks and some things don't work as you'd expect. The handiest feature is that as well as displaying the result of a calculation, it copies it to the clipboard. But don't include an = sign as it breaks the calculator.

Note that to use the calculator, you'll have to install it to the Quick Access Toolbar. It won't become active until you enter a formula and highlight it.

I am suprised that I didn't know about this. Thanks to Office Watch (which is a great site) for pointing it out.


No comments: