Friday, August 16, 2019

A Little Project

Back more than 30 years ago, along with Michael Wallis and Lloyd Penney, I published an SF fanzine called Torus. I still have the original pages from that tucked away in my filing cabinet, but I have been looking for the original computer files. I finally found them on a 25-year-old CD-R which was readable, much to my surprise. (I am still perturbed by the fact that the only copy of these files I can find was on a backup disk, and not squirreled away in the Backup section of my hard drive).

Most of the files are from Ventura Publisher, but are readable in NotePad++, and contain almost all of the article content in a text blob in the middle of the binary content. I should be able to extract the text easily.

Why am I doing this? I want to collect all of the interviews (there was one in most issues) and publish them as a free ebook. I am going to do this as a learning exercise. And it would be good to have the content out there for people to read.

After that, I will probably scan the originals and publish PDFs of the 10 issues. But that may be a while.

No comments: