Saturday, June 22, 2019

Sugarmegs

I like listenning to recordings of live music. Over the years, I've listenned to a substantial portion of the Grateful Dead's concerts, along with other jam bands like Phish. It's probably because I don't get to go out to any near the number of live concerts that I'd like to attend.

Way back in the beginning days of the Internet, I used to frequent a site called Sugarmegs.org which collected live concert recordings. At some point, I think they went down and I stopped visiting. But a chance remark by a Facebook friend led me back there and to my great pleasure I found they're still up and running. 

Sugarmegs isn't the prettiest site around; in fact it's layout is loud and pretty dated by modern standards. But what it lacks in visual flair, it makes up in content. You can browse recent uploads, an alphabetical list, or search for your favourite band. In the last few days, I've found several recordings of the Jefferson Airplane that I had not heard before, a wonderful performance from Fairport Convention at the end of May, a Richard Thompson show from his last tour, and a couple of recent Phil Lesh and Friends shows with Jorma Kaukonen. 

These aren't always the highest quality recordings. Many of the shows are of taper-friendly bands and these will generally be quite listenable. Stealth recordings and older shows, not so much. But there's enough there that you're bound to find something good. 



No comments: