Saturday, June 08, 2019

An Appreciation of Terry Pratchett

The recent broadcast of the TV adaptation of Good Omens has drawn a lot of attention to its authors, Neil Gaiman and Sir Terry Pratchett. Gaiman has been getting the spotlight, because unfortunately Pratchett died four years ago. In this Syfy article, Brian Silliman throws the spotlight back on Pratchett, who deserves it.
Personally, I had no experience with the work of Sir Terry Pratchett until I read Good Omens many years ago. After falling in love with it, I rectified that. Good Omens was my Pratchett gateway book, and after downing many of his novels, I realized there was so very much more to not only the man's work but the man himself.
Pratchett's biggest contribution to literature has been a large series of books that all take place in a realm called Discworld. It's called that because the enormous land is on a giant disc, placed on top of four huge elephants, and they stand on the back of the great turtle A'Tuin, who floats through space.
When I heard about this book series upon completion of Good Omens, I knew I had to dive in immediately. How had I never heard of these books? If I'd lived in Britain, I would have — the series routinely appeared at the top of bestseller lists until J.K. Rowling and Harry Potter came flying in to bump them down a little bit. In America, they are nowhere near as prevalent. It's a shame, because they are extraordinary.
I will admit to not having read much Pratchett. I have not read Good Omens (something I will rectify soon) and only got part way through The Color of Magic before putting it aside. I had a mistaken idea that the Discworld books were light, frothy fantasy and missed all of the depth and subtlety of Pratchett's work - something that I only came to appreciate when reading about him after his death. But if the TV adaptation of Good Omens is any indication, I have some reading to catch up on.

No comments: