Wednesday, April 03, 2019

How To Run Chrome OS From a USB Drive

I have an old PC that we use only to stream web content like Amazon Prime to our downstairs TV. But it has a problem; it's running Windows 7, which will be reaching end-of-service in January 2020. I don't really need to put Windows 10 on it, or need to. Luckily, I may have found a solution.

It's possible to install Google's Chrome OS from a USB drive. Most modern PCs will boot from a USB device (although you can run Chrome OS from a hard drive, the idea is to remove the need for Windows 7).

This video gives step-by-step instructions. It looks fairly straightforward, although I haven't tried it yet. If it doesn't work, I'll update this post after I try it. Note that the Chrome OS used for this won't run Android apps, unlike new Google Chrome OS hardware.


No comments: