Friday, April 26, 2019

Book Catalog Software

I have been looking for software to help me catalog our book collection, because we want to sell off as much as we can. The bulk of it is science fiction and fantasy, with quite a few signed first editions, both hardcover and paperback.

I wanted something that I could use on my phone to scan ISBNs and have the software enter the basic data. I spent too much time today fiddling with various apps, but I think I've settled on LibraryThing. It is primarily web-based but has an Android app that I can use to scan the ISBN directly into its database, which is stored online. That makes it easy for me to edit items on the PC, which is much easier than trying to fiddle with a small phone screen. It also lets me customize how it displays lists and add tags and categories.

LibraryThing has many social features, akin to Goodreads, but I have little or no interest in that part of the application. And it's free, which is a plus.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has used it, or has other tools to recommend.

No comments: