Monday, April 01, 2019

Android Pie First Impressions

Samsung and Rogers finally got around to updating my Galaxy S8 to Android Pie today.

So far, my first impression is positive. I prefer using a dark mode theme on the phone, both to cut down on glare and to reduce battery usage (on an AMOLED screen, black pixels don't draw power). The dark mode is carried forward into more places, especially the Settings menus. The overall look is more consistent, with more standardization of the icons.

I haven't gone into all of the menus so far to see what's new. I noticed that I can now turn on the display just by picking it up, which is handy. Samsung has reorganized some of the menu items and the groupings seeem more logical. The Camera app now has text labels for some of the options, making it easier to use. The home screen layout can be locked so you don't accidentally move or delete icons.

On the negative side, performance seems a bit slower. It's most notable when swiping between screens. In one of the Advanced option screens, I was asked to swipe my unlock pattern, but the 9 dots weren't visible. It was still possible to swipe the pattern, because my fingers do it without me having to think about it. I eventually fixed the problem by setting my theme back to default and enabling night mode, which also changed a lot of my icons, but I'll get used to that eventually.

This article has a list of the new features in Samsung's One UI Android Pie skin.

No comments: