Thursday, March 14, 2019

Why Neil Gaiman Likes Toronto

The second season of American Gods is now starting on Amazon Prime. In this article, Neil Gaiman, describes why Toronto, where the show is shot, is a special place for him. I was at the World Science Fiction Convention, Torcon 3, in 2003 and saw a huge lineup of people some blocks away from the convention centre. It was for a Neil Gaiman signing. He's popular here.
“It feels very appropriate that we’re making American Gods here,” Gaiman says at an east-end studio. “Toronto was the first place where I had a mega signing. It was the first place I was recognized on the street. It was the first place I had An Evening with Neil Gaiman event.”
He pauses, then continues: “I remember coming here in 1991 and there was a line of people around the block at Silver Snail.
“I had dinner plans for 9 p.m. and I got back to the hotel at 1 a.m. I missed dinner and I was having chocolate chip cookies in the bath and thinking, ‘This is the glamorous life.’”
There's more in the article about American Gods and his thoughts on the possibility of a Sandman TV series.

An aside here. If you've been reading this blog, you know I'm a science fiction fan. Not so much a fantasy fan. But I've read American Gods and loved it. The TV series is very good, but the book is better.

No comments: