Friday, March 29, 2019

Apple Now Owns the Online Magazine Market

Some time ago Apple bought Texture, an online magazine subscription service. Earlier this week they announced Apple News+, which is basically a fancier Texture with the addition of some newspaper subscriptions. Now they're shutting down Texture as of May 28th.

So, if you want a reasonably priced online magazine subscription service, you have to own an Apple device. Yes, there are public libraries with online magazine downloads (my library in Pickering offers that service), but they don't have anywhere near the selection that Apple News+ does, or the extra online newspapers.

I don't own an Apple computer or an iPad. It looks like I might have to buy one at some point, if I want to read magazines online. Because of my eyesight, reading magazines online is the only way I can read most magazines.

Perhaps Apple has plans to make a cross-platform version of News+ in the future, as they did with iTunes. So far, there's no sign that they will.

I'm not a happy camper.


No comments: