Tuesday, January 02, 2024

What I Read in 2023

2023 was another year where I resolved to read more books and didn't manage to do it (11, same as in 2022). I'm still spending too much time on social media; Twitter used to be my biggest time sink, but now it's Mastodon. Reading the news also eats up a lot of my time; I subscribe to three newspapers (Toronto Star, New York Times, Washington Post) and get several (too many) email newsletters on varying topics. 

Here are the books I managed to read in 2023.

  •  A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman (graphic novel)
  • Chivalry by Neil Gaiman (graphic novel), currently reading
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2015 edited by Rich Horton (currently reading)
  • A Desolation Called Peace by Arkady Martine
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone (unfinished)
  • The Future of Another Timeline by Analee Newitz
  • The Terraformers by Annalee Newitz (my favourite book of the year)
  • Tides of Fire by James Rollins
  • The Kaiju Preservation Society by John Scalzi
  • Dead Lies Dreaming by Charlie Stross
  • Quantum of Nightmares by Charlie Stross (in progress)
As has been the case for the last decade, all my reading is on a device. I've tried reading a couple of dead tree books and just can't manage it comfortably. I have transitioned from reading on my Kindle Paperwhite to mostly on my Pixel 8 Pro phone and Kindle Fire tablet using Google Play Books when possible.

For 2024, I'm going to finish Charlie Stoss' New Management trilogy and then dive into Ian McDonald's Hopeland. After that, we'll see.

No comments: