Saturday, January 27, 2024

Saturday Sounds - Philip Glass - Solo

Philip Glass is probably the pre-eminent living American composer of classical music, though his oeuvre is much wider than that. I've been a fan of his ever since hearing some of his music on FM radio in the 1970s, and I've seen him perform, in various formats, eight times. There is something about his music that strikes a chord, so to speak, in me. 

Years ago, I passed up an opportunity to see him perform some of his solo piano pieces; something that I now very much regret. Initially, I found them rather boring, but they've grown on me over the years. He's released a new album of some of his solo piano works, rerecorded and reinterpreted in 2021 at the age of 84. They're lovely, contemplative pieces, and despite their surface simplicity, you can get lost in them. 


No comments: