Friday, April 30, 2021

Operator Error

1'm enjoying my new Fujifilm X-S10 camera, but it is complicated. 

I spent half an hour yesterday trying to figure out why my viewfinder was dim and pictures were underexposed. I went through all menu settings I could think of that might affect the viewfinder display, but didn't find anything that had an effect. 

Finally, I figured it out. The other night I had turned the exposure compensation down all the way - 5 stops - to take a picture of the moon. Of course, I forgot to turn it back up. No wonder the viewfinder was dim. It shouldn't have taken me that long to figure that out - it's a basic setting. (I would not likely have made that mistake had I purchased an X-T30 or X-T3 as they have a top dial for exposure compensation, which makes the setting more obvious. On the X-S10 it's set with the back command dial and shows up as a scale in the side of the viewfinder).

This also made me realize that I need to keep a list of the settings I've been customizing. I may start doing some blog posts about how I customized the camera, if I can find the time.

No comments: