Monday, October 05, 2020

Global Volcanism Program Image Collection

As a child and teenager, I was fascinated by volcanoes and read everything I could get my hands on about them – too much probably, as I remember having a nightmare about a volcano erupting in the parking lot of the high school near me. (This was not likely, as the Canadian Shield is one of the most tectonically stable areas in the world).  

So it's a good thing I didn't have access to the Global Volcanism Progam Image Collection, hosted by the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History. On it you'll find around 5,000 images (and some videos) of volcanoes and their effects. Major sections include Hazards and Processes, Studying Volcanoes, and Volcano Types and Features, with each major section being further divided into more specific sections. 

Here's one of my favourite images, from the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo. This picture was taken from 25 miles away from the volcano.


The website includes an extensive collection of information about volcanos, including reports, databases, and other resources. As well as being highly browsable, this will be a treasure trove for students of all ages. 


No comments: