Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Reverting Facebook To the Classic Interface

I published a guest post yesterday by Jay Linden about how much he dislikes the new Facebook desktop interface. He raises some good points, but on the whole, I prefer the new interface. It did take a bit of getting used to but I find the organization more logical and consistent. Also, I prefer dark mode and the new interface supports that.  

However, your mileage may vary, and if you prefer the "classic" Facebook interface, there are ways to revert back to it, even though Facebook has removed that capability from users at the beginning of September.

One is RevertSite, which you can install as an extension or add-on in Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Firefox. I've tried it and it does work as advertised. The icon used to toggle it on or off doesn't appear in my Facebook, but you can turn it on or off (or uninstall it) in the Externsions menu. 

Another option is to log in to the mobile Facebook interface from your desktop. I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to try this as it's ugly and not very usable.

Also, Chrome users can use Old Layout for Facebook. I haven't tried this one.

Update: Jay points out that RevertSite may break audio and video chats. You can get around this by opening Messenger directly at www.messenger.com.


No comments: