Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Fall Sci-Fi and Fantasy TV Preview

Gizmodo has assembled a long, annotated list of science fiction and fantasy (SFF) TV shows that will be showing this fall. As usual, there's far more than one person could watch, so some filtering is needed. Here are shows that I think I'll be looking at. (Fair warning: my taste runs more to science fiction than fantasy and I'm not a big fan of comedy). 

  • Utopia (September 25, Amazon). I've downloaded the British series that this was based on but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
  • Pandora (October 4, The CW). I missed the first season of this but might check it out, as my family has a taste for bad space opera. (There are very few good space opera shows). 
  • neXt (October 6, Fox). I saw a preview of this, and it looks like it might be watchable.
  • The Right Stuff (October 9, Disney+). Maybe it will be as good or better than the movie, although given that it's a Disney production, I have my doubts.
  • Star Trek: Discovery (October 15, CBS All Access). The second season was marginally better than the first, but that's not saying much. I'll probably watch it just to see how badly they can screw up Star Trek. 
  • The Mandalorian (October 30, Disney+). I am ashamed to admit that I enjoyed the first season of this. I hope they can keep the same dark tone and avoid getting too wrapped up in the Star Wars mythos.
  • His Dark Materials (November TBD, HBO). The first season was quite good. I would watch the second season just for the deliciously evil Mrs. Coulter.
  • The Stand (December 17, CBS All Access). This might be too timely to be comfortable viewing.


No comments: