Monday, September 28, 2020

Notes on the Pixel 4a

More notes about the Pixel 4a and Android 11.

  • Keyboard: On my Galaxy S8, I used Swiftkey as my default keyboard. On the Pixel, I tried using Gboard, but found that my preferred layout (with symbols chosen by a long press on the standard keys) too hard to use, because the symbols were just too small, and I couldn't find a theme with enough contrast. So I switched over to Swiftkey and found a high-contrast layout that works well enough, although I would prefer slightly larger keys and lettering.
  • Battery: I was a bit worried about the battery life on the Pixel, because the battery is only 3140 mAh, but so far the battery life has been very good. Most days I can get through a whole day of normal usage and still have about 40 percent charge at the end of the day. I keep my screen brightness up fairly high, so people who can handle a dimmer screen will probably do better than that.
  • Adaptive brightness: This setting seems somewhat inconsistent indoors but works very well outside. The screen is legible even in bright sunlight. 
  • Camera: The camera is very good. I do find that colours are a bit less saturated than with the camera on the Galaxy S8, but they are accurate. The contrast range is better than on the Samsung. I like the level notification that tells me exactly when the phone is level so the horizon is straight. Almost every picture I've taken has turned out.   

No comments: