Monday, June 01, 2020

Richard Stuverud - Memories in Kodachrome

In the normal course of affairs, I'd probably never have heard of Richard Stuverud and his recently released album, Memories in Kodachrome. I don't follow the indie music scene and unless somebody like Rolling Stone or Relix wrote about it, I'd never have heard of it. But my long-time friend, Derek McCulloch, wrote the lyrics for most of the songs, so I had to give it a listen, and I'm glad I did. 

Memories in Kodachrome is full of catchy melodies and pithy lyrics. I've listened to it a few times now, and I can't get some of the melodies out of my head. Stuverud has a way with a catchy melody and McCulloch's lyrics complement the songs perfectly – catchy power pop with a bite. It's one of the best albums I've heard this year, up there with the new albums by Phish and Drive-By Truckers. 

Here's a snippet from one of my favorite songs on the album:
"October Surprise".
Half-empty glass sitting on the shelf
Some half-empty promise I could make
With a little frosting on your fingertips
You pull the candles from the cake
And all at once I see how the story ends
The story right there in your eyes
I can see the big plot twist comin up
I can see
The October surprise
The band, consisting of a host of Bay-area musicians, delivers punchy rock seasoned with a variety of instrumentation that occasionally veers into country and psychedelia. I've been trying for days to figure out who they remind me of and it finally hit me - Graham Parker and the Rumor around the time of Squeezing Out Sparks. I'd love to hear this performed live. 


Stuverud has released the album on Bandcamp at a very reasonable price. It's also up on Spotify and likely other streaming services. While you're listening to it, read McCulloch's lyrics (viewable on Bandcamp), then check out his graphic novels, especially Gone to Amerikay (which was inspired by a Pogues song). 




No comments: