Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Ophthalmology in 2020

Being extremely nearsighted, I've become quite used to visiting the ophthalmologist and having my eyes examined. But I haven't thought much about the technology that the doctors use to examine my eyes. This "advertorial" from Nature, is a good explanation of modern medical techniques for examining the eye. 

The article is written to promote the Moorefield Eye Hospital in London, UK. I recognized the name immediately, as it's where our eye doctors told us to go if my wife or I had eye problems while visiting London. As it turned out, it was within walking distance of our hotel. 

I hadn't realized that retinal photography was such a recent invention (1980s). I'm fortunate that techniques like OCT scans (also a recent invention) have been developed in my lifetime.


No comments: