Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Microsoft Word to Get AI-Like Grammar Checker

Microsoft will be adding AI-based grammar checking features to Word 365. 
The functionality aims to take on similar platforms like Grammarly and Google Docs. The Ideas feature outlines simple errors, and highlights sentences that can be rephrased to improve clarity. Ideas will also be beneficial when reading, according to Microsoft. The feature can explain acronyms, outline the main points of what you’re reading and also estimate reading time. These features will give readers the ability to effectively skim through pieces of text.
I'm not sure how I feel about that. I do use the grammar checker in Word, but I have turned off many of the things that it looks for.

Another upcoming feature makes me very twitchy.
 Microsoft also announced a Word Designer feature that will allow users to style their documents and tables.
Given how Microsoft has managed to make using paragraph and character styles more difficult with each release,  I can't imagine what they're going to do now.

No comments: