Friday, May 10, 2019

5 Things to Consider When Creating Your CSS Style Guide

During my career as a technical writer, I've worked on several style guides for my groups and had some input into coding standards for developers. It has never occurred to me that a style guide might be required for CSS, but I can understand the need, although I'd consider referring to one as a coding standards guide rather than a style guide.

In any case, this article from LogRocket has some solid advice for creating such a guide. I can see that it would be especially useful for larger groups where writers might have to work with tools that are heavily CSS-based like Flare or WebWorks ePublisher.
A CSS style guide is a set of standards and rules on how to use and write CSS code. It often contains global branding definitions like colors and typography and a set of reusable components for building a more consistent and maintainable project.
CSS style guides should be considered an equal citizen of every project requirement.

No comments: