Thursday, May 02, 2019

Build Your Own Hackintosh

It is possible to convert a Windows-based PC into a computer that can run Apple's MacOS, what people call a Hackintosh. However, it's not a process for the faint of heart or technically inexperienced.

On Motherboard, Ernie Smith has a (really) long and (really, really) technical article that explains what you'll need and what you have to do.
I can speak from experience here because I did all the hard work myself already. As frustrated by the keyboard and the price as by the fact that nothing was upgradeable on the current generation of MacBook Pros, I went on this journey myself a year ago—and made it out on the other side much more knowledgeable about why MacOS is a great, quite flexible operating system, often (and unfortunately) placed in a not-so-perfect machine. I put in the time, offered the occasional helping hand on the forums, did a bit of research on the culture of Hackintosh, and gained a great appreciation for the process.
I’ve been using a Hackintosh laptop as a daily driver for a year. Now, I’m sharing my insights here.

Why am I posting this, when there is no chance that I am ever going to try it? (I haven't even installed Linux on my PC). Because it's a very clear, well written piece of technical documentation.

No comments: