Friday, February 01, 2019

What I Read: January 2019

I managed to finish a couple of books this month, with one more that I got half way through on and gave up.

  • Once There Was a Way, by Bryce Zabel: An alternate history of what might have happened if the Beatles hadn't broken up. See my full review.
  • The Ends of the World by Peter Brannen: This is a history of the Earth through the five great mass extinctions plus the one we're living through now. It is a wonderful book. The subject matter can be grim but Brannen brings it to life in a way that few authors could. You feel like you're living in the prehistoric worlds he describes. It's one of the best science books I've read.
  • Black Chamber by S. M. (Steve) Stirling:  I really wanted to like this book. I knew Steve when he was living in Toronto in the 80s and have been reading his books since he started publishing. But I couldn't finish this one. It's an alternate history in which Teddy Roosevelt ends up as president during World War I. There is a plot but it's buried in page after page of pointless description and turgid historical detail. The editor in me wanted to go through it with a blue pencil, but that's hard to do on a Kindle. For Steve's fans (and he has many) only. 
Now reading:
  • Nemesis Games by James S. A. Correy
  • Astounding by Alec Nevala-Lee
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction 34th Annual Collection by Gardner Dozois

No comments: