Friday, February 08, 2019

Webster's Dictionary of English Usage Ebook

In my post about Dreyer's English, I bemoaned the fact that Merriam Webster's Dictionary of English Usage wasn't available as a Kindle ebook. Yesterday, I thought to look for it an Google Books and yes, there is an ebook version there. It's not an ideal edition though, as it's produced from a scan of the first 1989 edition and not the later 1994 edition, which is the one I have sitting beside me. The file format is a PDF hag-ridden with Adobe Digital Editions DRM.

It's just usable on my Samsung Galaxy S8 phone, but perfectly readable on my PC and should be fine on a tablet. You can search it and add notes and bookmarks. Given the small size of the print in my hardbound edition, the Google Books version will be more usable for me, although I would prefer a proper EPUB or Kindle version.

This is one of the best books you'll find on English usage (well, American English) and the Google Books price of $8.86 (Canadian dollars) is very reasonable. Right now, you can also get $5 credit on book purchases over $5, which reduces the cost to that of a cup of coffee. You can't go wrong.

No comments: