Monday, January 07, 2019

Enabling Dark Mode in Windows 10

I have a 28" monitor and staring at a screen with a white background is a guaranteed way to end up with a headache from eye strain. So as much as possible, I use dark mode in my web browsers (the Dark Reader extension in Chrome and the Dark theme and the Owl extension in Firefox).

But until recently, Windows didn't have a dark mode setting for its own applications. That's been fixed (somewhat) in the October 2018 update which showed up on my PC a couple of weeks ago. You can enable dark mode in Settings > Personalization > Colors. It works for Microsoft's own apps, including File Explorer, Settings, and the Windows app store.

It should also work in Office applications, if you have a more recent version of Office than Office 2013. Unfortunately, I am still using Office 2013, so I'm stuck with the blinding white screen in Word. That might be enough of a reason to consider upgrading Office (or to convert my files to Google Docs).

For email, I mostly use Mozilla Thunderbird. The default Mozilla Dark theme changes only the menu bar, which isn't much use, so I use a third-party theme called TT Deep Dark. It changes everything except the message content, so it's not perfect but it's better than the default.

No comments: