Wednesday, November 01, 2023

Movie and TV Reviews - October 2023

Short reviews of what I watched in October. Sadly, I won't be watching the Toronto Blue Jays in the playoffs this year.

Movies

  • Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse: I am not a big fan of superhero movies but I do enjoy good animation and the animation in this was absolutely spectacular. I would have enjoyed the movie with the sound off. (Amazon Prime)
  • The Creator:  It's extremely well made and fast paced, but it pushed my "willing suspension of disbelief" past the breaking point several times. Worth seeing, but not the great SF film some are claiming it to be. 

TV Shows

  • We finished Ashoka (season 1), Foundation (season 2), and Antiques Road Trip (season 23). 
  • Invasion (season 2): I've seen reviews that said that the show was finally going somewhere, but if it is, I can't see where. Really not my cup of tea. (Apple TV+)
  • The Continental: This is a prequel to the John Wick series. If you liked the John Wick movies, you'll probably enjoy this. It's equally silly and equally brutal. (Amazon Prime)
  • Get Back: A six-hour documentary about the Beatles in the studio preparing for their legendary rooftop concert in 1969. I haven't watched a lot of it so far, but what I've seen I've really enjoyed. It's a real slice of musical history. (Disney+)
  • Deadloch: This is a seriously twisted dark comedy in the vein of Hot Fuzz. In a small town in Tasmania, bodies start turning up with their tongues missing. Hijinks ensue. Not for the squeamish, but totally over the top and sometimes very funny. (Amazon Prime)
  • Payback: A British crime thriller by the producers of Line of Duty. As you might expect, it's very well done: taut, unpredictable, and with first-rate acting. (BritBox)
  • Bosch: Legacy (season 2). The adventures of Harry Bosch and his daughter Maddy continue. If you liked the previous series, you'll like this. We do. (Amazon Prime).

No comments: