Saturday, November 04, 2023

Saturday Sounds - The Beatles - Now and Then

There is a moment in the "making of" video for the Beatles' new single, "Now and Then" that gave me goosebumps. After hearing some of John Lennon's original  cassette demo, we hear Lennon's voice, isolated and extracted by Peter Jackson's magic new audio technology. It stunned me. I've known about this tech for a while now, but to hear it, and to hear just how well it works, was a revelation.

As for the song itself, it's pretty enough and Giles Martin and the remaining two Beatles have done a fine job of recreating what probably would have been a B-side from one of the later albums had John written it a few years earlier. That being said, it still made me weep at the end, not because it's such a work of musical genius, but for what might have been and what we've lost.

The Beatles - Now And Then - The Last Beatles Song (Short Film)

 

The Beatles - Now and Then 

For a view of what might have been, I recommend the novel, Once There Was a Way by Bryce Zabel. It's an alternate history based on the premise that the Beatles didn't break up in 1969. I liked it a lot and you can read my review here.

No comments: