Thursday, July 06, 2023

Movie and TV Reviews - June 2023

Short reviews of movies and TV shows we watched in June.

Movies

  • Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Light, humourous fantasy. I never got into D&D, so can't comment on any relationship to the game, but I did enjoy the movie. (Amazon Prime)
  • Tetris: I put off watching this because I thought the story of a video game being marketed wouldn't be very interesting. I was wrong. It was an enjoyable movie with a visual style that harkens back to the days of the 8-bit video game. Somewhat overdramatized though, I suspect, after reading the history of the game on Wikipedia. (Apple TV+)

TV Shows

  • Silent Witness (season 21): When we started watching this, I didn't realize that the first season was shown in 1996 and there were 25 more. We didn't want to work our way through all of them so jumped ahead to season 21. It's a good show but occasionally quite grim. (Amazon Prime)
  • The Gryphon: A German fantasy series with either subtitled or a decent English dub. I would like to see another season as the first left quite a bit hanging.
  • Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (season 2): Old Star Trek in new clothes. This is probably the closest to the original series of any of the remakes. It still feels old and formulaic. 
  • The Gallery: The Mandalorian, season 1. I watched episodes 4 and 5 of this, which focus on the technology that LucasFilm and Disney developed to produce the show. It is remarkable tech that melds VR, AR, and gaming engines together to help the production team visualize what the final images will look like in real time. 


2 comments:

Michael Gardi said...

If you get a chance you should check out “Silo” which is based on the novel “Wool” by Hugh Howey.

Keith Soltys said...

We will watch it soon. I've heard it's good. Not read the book.