Saturday, January 07, 2023

Saturday Sounds - Full Circle - Ian and Sylva

Note: I wrote this post last week, a couple of days before Ian Tyson died. I'll have another post about his music later in the month. 

I am sure that no one reading this has ever heard this album. It came out in 1968 and according to Sylvia Tyson (in a conversation I had with her after a concert a few years ago) sold "about 11 copies". One of them was mine. 

Full Circle featured a top-notch group of Nashville session musicians and Ian and Sylvia's lovely singing. I'm not sure why this album grabbed me so intensely as I wasn't particularly into country and western music at the time. But grab me it did and I still listen to it today.

Highlight tracks: "I Learned From Leah", "Woman's World", "Stories He'd Tell", "Tears of Rage" (which is my favourite version of this song).

If you enjoy Full Circle, you'll probably enjoy "Lovin' Sound" released a year earlier. You can find both on a compilation CD.

No comments: