Thursday, September 01, 2022

Movie and TV Reviews - August 2022

 Short reviews of movies and TV shows we watched in August. 

Movies

  • Elvis. We saw this at the theatre and I'm glad we did; it's made for the big screen. It's the story of Elvis Presley through the lens of the 1980s MTV generation, big, bold, and flashy, just like Elvis. I liked it a lot. 
  • Prey: This has been getting a lot of buzz, which is mostly well deserved. It's certainly one of the best movies in the Predator franchise, although I found it rather implausible. 
  • Inside the Mind of a Cat. This short (just over an hour) Netflix documentary is a bit too cute for its own good but does offer some useful insights into the minds of our feline overlords. 
  • Samaritan: The only reason you'd want to watch this is because it stars Sylvester Stallone. It's a decent enough superhero action flick but nothing special. (Netflix)
  • Top Gunn: Maverick. Another recruiting movie for the US Navy. It really is time for Tom Cruise to retire. 

TV Shows

  • Star Trek Discovery (season 4). I really disliked the earlier seasons of this, but season 4 was watchable, at least. (Crave)
  • A Stitch in Time: Learning about history by recreating the garments people wore in historic paintings. I found it quite fascinating. (TVO)
  • The Sandman: Neil Gaiman's comic book classic finally makes it to the screen and it was worth the wait. A beautifully realized adaptation. I want more. (Neflix).
  • Locke and Key (season 3). This probably should have finished after the first season. I think they wrapped it up with this season; at least I sure hope so. (Netflix)
  • Monty Don's Japanese Gardens: A two-episode series touring some of Japan's best gardens. (Acorn TV)
  • For All Mankind (season 3). I enjoyed this a lot, but it is getting quite implausible. Most of the space technology has had at least some grounding in reality, but they lost me with the North Korean. (Apple TV+)
  • House of the Dragon. I really didn't like the first episode. The second episode was quite a bit better, so maybe there is some hope for the series. (Amazon Prime)
  • Endeavour (season 8): Another excellent season of the prequel to Inspector Morse. I'm always amazed at just how much death and depravity there is in a quiet British university town. (Acorn TV)

No comments: