Wednesday, May 04, 2022

Kindle to Support EPUB, Sort Of

Amazon has announced that you will soon be able to send EPUB files directly to your Kindle, using the Send to Kindle email address that each Kindle has, or later in the year through the Send to Kindle app. The files will be automatically converted to the current AZW3 format. 

They will drop support for the old MOBI format though files that you have will still continue to work (and I assume you can still sideload them directly from a computer). 

I'll be interested to see how well this works. Currently, I run EPUB files through the Calibre app so I can force justification to flush left (aka ragged right) as fully justified files look horrible at the font size I normally read at. I don't know if the new conversion from EPUB will support changing the default justification. If you know, please leave a comment. I would also like to see the ability to use the Atkinson Hyperlegible font, which my .mobi files don't seem to like, although I can get that working on AZW3 files by using Calibre.

At some point in the next year, I may buy a Kobo reader so I can download library books directly to my device and for the better typographic support offered by Kobo. (I can read library books on my phone or tablet, but would prefer to use an ereader as it's easier on the eyes). 

 

No comments: