Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Budget Bytes

I have a New York Times subscription and get a daily email from them loaded with recipes. They look great, but in practice, they tend to be too complicated and use ingredients that I don't usually have at home. This week's Recomendo newsletter pointed me to a recipe site that's much more to my taste, so to speak. 

Budget Bytes bills itself as a place for "delicious recipes designed for small budgets". After browsing the site for a while, I have to say I'm impressed. The site is much more than just a list of recipes. For one thing, it's extremely well organized. As well as being able to find recipes by the usual categories (breakfast, dessert, meat (with subcategories), quick, and so on), there's a page listing close to a hundred subcategories. Even better, there's a much longer list of ingredients used in the recipes that link to all the recipes that use that ingredient. Brillant! And of course, the site is searchable.

Added content includes preparation and cooking tips, meal plans (by paid subscription), how-to tips, suggested pantry staples, and more. There's also an app for both IOS and Android. The recipes are well thought out with clear instructions and include the cost of ingredients (in US dollars) so Canadian users will have to add the exchange. 

I posted about this site on Facebook and one of my friends commented that the registered dietician where she works uses it and recommends it to their clients. 

I expect to be using a lot of their recipes in the coming months. 

No comments: