Tuesday, February 01, 2022

Movie and TV Reviews - January 2022

Here are some short reviews of things I watched in January. 

Movies

  • Ghostbusters: Afterlife. Not a reboot but a direct sequel set about 35 years after the original. I liked it, although it did get a bit mawkish at the end. The young actors are very good. 
  • Don't Look Up: See my review
  • The Eternals: Another flashy, pointless, Marvel epic. I fell asleep halfway through. 
  • The Protegé: A good Saturday night flick with decent performances by Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Keaton, and Maggie Q. Good pacing and enough action help to keep you from thinking about how silly it is. 

TV Shows

  • Inspector Lewis: This is a sequel to Endeavour and Inspector Morse, following Morse's sergeant, Lewis, who is now an inspector. It's very well done with good acting, twisty plots, and deep characterization. Who knew that there was so much crime and depravity in the quiet university town of Oxford? (PBS Masterpiece)
  • War of the Worlds (Season 2): The first season did little for me and the second season isn't much better. (CBC Gem)
  • A Discovery of Witches (Season 2-3): I liked this show more as it developed. I think they could have done more with the premise of witches, vampires, and demons living among us, but what's there is good.
  • The Expanse (Season 6): The "final" season (scare quotes because there are rumours it will continue after all) continues straight on from the end of season 5, but begins to introduce the Laconia plot from the last three books in the trilogy. This is about as good as SF TV shows get. (Amazon Prime)
  • Doom Patrol (Season 1): I ratefy like superhero movies or TV shows, but I am enjoying this one, primarily because it is so twisted and strange. There is enough going on in any one episode to fill a season of the average show. It's a credit to the producers that I am often lost as far as following the plot but still enjoying it.
  • Queens of Mystery (Season 2): Another light, frothy mystery show. The only reason I watch it is because my wife likes it.

No comments: