Tuesday, February 08, 2022

The Atkinson Hyperlegible Font

The choice of font can make a big difference in legibility, especially for readers like myself with low vision. I recently discovered a new font that's specifically designed to improve readability for people with low vision. It's called Atkinson Hyperlegible and it's free to download and install. 

Atkinson Hyperlegible font is named after Braille Institute founder, J. Robert Atkinson.  What makes it different from traditional typography design is that it focuses on letterform distinction to increase character recognition, ultimately improving readability.  We are making it free for anyone to use!

I've installed it as the default font in Chrome and I do find it much easier to read than any other font that I've seen. I've also installed it on my Kindle. I had been using Amazon Ember, which is a very readable font, but Atkinson Hyperlegible is better. Note that to install it on your Kindle, you should remove the "-102" suffix in the font name before copying it to your Kindle. 

If you're interested in finding out more about the font, there will be a free webinar with the designer on February 24th. 


No comments: