Wednesday, November 03, 2021

Some Thoughts on Dune: Part 1

I saw Dune: Part 1 last night at a nearby IMAX theatre. I did not think that I would ever see a film adaptation that would do the book justice but Villeneuve mostly has. 

Dune was one of the formative books for me as a teenager. I read it when it was serialized in Analog in the early 1960s and several times since and went on to read all of the Herbert-authored stories as well as several of the prequels written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. I've also read the recent graphic novel adaptation, which covered about the same part of the novel as the movie. 

Villeneuve's version is better than I expected and probably about as good as we can realistically expect for a modern big-budget movie. It is epic in scope, with outstanding effects (although much of the movie's impact comes from its physical sets) and a first-rate cast. The cinematography is gorgeous, reminiscent of David Lean's Lawrence of Arabia, which I'm sure must have been an influence. I did find the interior scenes of the movie very dark, which I suspect was a conscious choice on Villeneuve's part, but it's not one that fits my vision of story. 

The movie covers roughly the first half of the novel. It moves quickly, especially after the first half-hour, and didn't feel like it was 2-1/2 hours long. I think it could have been half an hour longer, as there were some plot points that were dropped or given short shrift. But I'm picking nits here. 

Dune: Part 1 is the best cinematic adaptation of a major science fiction or fantasy novel since Lord of the Rings. It should appeal both to fans of the book and to filmgoers who are just looking for an entertaining evening out.

Do not miss it, and go to a cinema with a big screen (preferably IMAX). TV will not do it justice.


No comments: