Tuesday, March 09, 2021

How to Create Custom Maps in Google Maps

I've been watching a lot of London walking tours recently to scratch my travel itch. Some of them come with route maps that show the route and highlight points of interest. I've idly wondered how these were done but never got around to finding out. 

This article explains how to use the Google My Maps feature of Google Maps to create custom maps. Offhand, I can't think of any use I'd have for this right now, some you reading this might find it useful. 

Google My Maps gives you access to Google Maps, as well as a lot of the information that you'll find when you use Google Maps.

In many respects, it works like Google's other cloud-based authoring tools. You can work on maps on your own, or share them with other users to work on projects together.

It even works with Google Docs so that you can organize your maps with other documents. You can also import information from Google Docs and Spreadsheets into your custom map.

Finally, while you can use shared My Maps to plan a trip with friends and family, or keep your maps for your own records, you can also embed your custom map on a website.

No comments: