Wednesday, March 10, 2021

An Ad-Free Magnifier App for Android

On my earlier Samsung phones, I used a magnifier widget from Samsung. It was simple, ad-free, and just worked. Unfortunately, it couldn't be installed on my Pixel 4a, so I did a quick skim of the Google Play Store and installed an app called Magnifier. It worked, but was ad-supported, and after a while the ads were getting more intrusive. Then it somehow got locked into using the selfie camera and I couldn't change it. So off to the bit bucket it went.

I'm now using an app called SuperVision+



It's ad-free and after a week or so I've had no issues with it. And I do use it, sometimes several times a day. It has the basic controls that you would expect and a couple of nice features that I like; for example, image stabilization, and the ability to use the phone as a telescope. In other words, the magnification works on both close objects (as a magnifier) and on distant objects (as a telescope). Yes, I could use the camera app, but this is simpler. 

If there's a gotcha, it may be that the app hasn't been updated since 2018. However, it does work on my Pixel 4a under Android 11, at least for now. 

No comments: