Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Video Walking Tours of London - Updated

Updated after watching several of these - in bold.

In 2018, to celebrate our 30th anniversary, Nancy and I spent a week in London, UK. We had a wonderful time, much of that spent talking through the West End where we were staying near Regent's Park. We had hoped to get back last year, but the pandemic put an end to that plan, and it's not likely we'll get back in the next year, at least.

I've been slaking my urge to see more of London by watching some walking tours on YouTube. I prefer ones with narration, and the best I've found so far are by Watched Walker. He points out interesting sites and notes when he's changing streets, but the narration isn't overwhelming and gives you a real sense of where you are. 

A limited number (about 20) of his videos are narrated. Many others use closed captioning to provide location information. All include a location timeline in the YouTube comments along with a route map on Google Maps. and some have a time-stamped list of notable buildings and significant places. 

My favourite so far is the Soho, Regent Street, Picadilly Circus tour, which starts out at the south end of Regent's Park and continues down Portland Place to Regent Street. Nancy and I walked along that route and unfortunately should have gone a block or two farther, as I missed BBC House, which I would have liked to have seen. But it's in this video. 


The quality of these is excellent (I run at 1080p but it looks like they may be 4K), and he uses and stabilized camera so there's no head-bobbing effect. They're also divided into chapters which helps you figure out where you are. 

Watched Walker has tours of other cities, including Paris and Barcelona, if you're interested in other cities. For now, I'm sticking to London.

I have a request. I've looked for driving tours of London, but I can't find any that are narrated. If you know of any, please post a link in comments. 



No comments: